Oh my..! That’s what I thought when I read Berry’s Monday Meme and it took me a bit to think on how to participate on this one : give 5 advices to Second Life Newbies…Sounds simple, but it isn’t ? There is so much to tell, warn, explain, point out and there are tons of forumposts, fora, blogs and sites filled with valuable information already. But I am going to give it a try and list the 5 things I would give as quick tips, rather than advice, to new residents. Be sure to check Berry’s post and all the comments too!
1. In general: take your time, relax and do not panic!
2. Start with getting familiar with the viewer and most of all: learn to move around smooth, without bumping into walls and (what can be perceived as annoying) learn to not bump into/run over other people when in a crowded place. Learn how to unpack purchases and how to get dressed. Practice somewhere quiet and try out what the controls do to your avatar!
3. Realise that you do not NEED to do anything. You do not need to make tons of friends if you are not into that, you do not need to spend real money to look good, heck..you do not even need to ‘look good’. You do not need to buy land or rent a house when you start, or maybe you never want it! Well, maybe at some point you will, but don’t hurry. Do what you feel and what you like, but do it without being a asshole.
4. Try to see Second Life as a world you migrated to, where you will meet other people who did the same. Some a couple of years ago, some around the same time as you. We are all from other countries, cultures and backgrounds which is wonderful for diversity! Be aware not everybody ‘speaks the same language’ as you. And I do not only mean that literally. Be polite, be friendly and keep in mind that what you may find funny and hilarious, someone else may find offensive. Then again, if you run into oversensitive souls…shrug it off and move on.
5. Explore the world! Go places, use the Destination Guide (and my blog of course) to travel around and get immersed in the wonderful places others created and opened for all of us to enjoy. That way you you can combine all of the above: you can meet people, you will see what is possible and available in SL, you can practice your movement and the camera controls and best of all: you will have a great time!